Malaysians are a savvy lot when it comes to going on the Internet for their purchases, but while shopping online has proven to be a boon, it is not without its risks.
There is always the possibility of getting shortchanged, so it’s important that you protect yourself from fraud when you buy online.
One of the ways that you can do just that, is by using a proven online payment platform such as PayPal. The service is free to use, and it apparently only has a loss rate of 0.15%, thanks to its Buyer Protection policy which covers you in two situations: if the item you purchased is not received or if the item is significantly different from what was described.
Think of the PayPal account as your virtual wallet, one that has added security features. With that in mind, we present to you our guide to creating and ‘topping up’ a PayPal account:
Create Your PayPal Account
1) Go to www.paypal.com/my and select ‘Sign Up’.
2) Select the right type of account for your needs. There are three to choose from – Personal (individuals who shop online); Premier (buying and selling using personal name); or Business (buying and selling using business name). Consider what you’re going to use PayPal for when choosing. If your purpose is only to shop online, select ‘Personal’ and click ‘Get Started’.
3) Fill in the information and click ‘Agree and Create Account’. You have just created your account!
4) You will receive a PayPal welcome message in your email and it will contain an ‘Activate’ button. Click on the button to activate your account.
5) Once you have activated your account, you can set up a funding source – you can either choose to fund your account with credit card or bank account. Note that PayPal will not disclose financial information to merchants. Click Continue once you’ve made your selection.
6) If you choose to pay with credit or debit card, enter the card details and click ‘Continue’.
7) Now you’re ready to shop!
Top-up Your PayPal Account (FPX)
You have the flexibility to top-up your PayPal account instantly with the following leading banks in Malaysia: RHB Bank, Bank Islam, CIMB Bank (CIMB Clicks & CIMB Biz Channel), Hong Leong Bank, Maybank (M2U & M2E) and Public Bank.
1) Log in to your PayPal account
2) Click Top-Up.
3) Select top-up from your preferred bank. For example, if you want to top-up using your CIMB account, select top-up from Other Banks and click Continue.
4) Enter the amount and currency. Click ‘Proceed’.
5) Select your CIMB Internet Banking account, then click ‘Agree and Continue’.
6) You’ll be directed to CIMB iBanking site log in with your username and password. Follow the instructions (for example, select account type) on the banking site to transfer funds from your bank account into your PayPal account. You’ll see a message displayed on the successful transaction.
7) You’ll also receive a message from PayPal indicating that funds have been successfully transferred from your bank account to your PayPal account. Click ‘Continue’ to check the topped up funds reflected in your PayPal account.